Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Give Praise & Thanksgiving…


ESPN was giving the sports wrap-up, the fan blowing on high, and my phone alarm was buzzing for the third time.  I crawled over my three kids, who make their way to our bed a few times out of the week, and attempted to find my eyes (my glasses).  I snapped out of my morning drunkenness when I remembered that I had a 7am parent-teacher conference and it was already 6:30am!  As I fancied myself up I started thinking…
What will she say?
Of course good things cause Jeremy is a great kid...
Does he use his manners at school?
Well sure, I hound him all the time about uses those thank you’s, ma’am, sir, blah blah...
Are his studies good? Does he know basics?
Ahhhhhhhh! My mind could be the death of my peace if I’d let it.
Annnnnnnywho, finally made it out of the house at 7:06 and walk in the classroom about 5 minutes later. (Yes, I’m thankful we live right down the street).  She gave Jeremy such a great review! She told me how great of a kid he is, his sweet personality, and my favorite, his show of respect for her! (in a southern church voice, Praiiiiiiiise tha Lord!) I thought it was funny when she said, “and he has such a great sense of humor! I always tell him he is the only one who ever gets my jokes.” How cute.  Aside from his perks she did say that he is also top four in her class when it comes to his work.  I was sooo excited to get home and give him a big hug and tell him how proud I am and that’s exactly what I did.  I walked in right after 7:30 just as they were stuffing pop tarts in their mouth and getting their backpacks on.  I told him how very proud I am to hear such great things from his teacher and after lots of hugs and kisses he looked at me, head tilted a little and the big smile said it all. 
I wanted to write today to encourage you readers to continually give your children praise.  I know as parents we are constantly teaching our children to respect others, do their best, love another, share, follow directions, etc. – and when you get to have that conference and the teacher tells you they have been doing everything you’ve taught them, GIVE THEM PRAISE! I know that my son loved hearing me say all those great things his teacher said about him.  And most importantly give thanksgiving to God.  My husband and I TRY every night to pray with our kids.  Those prayers to God include their obedience not only at home but in school, peace with their classmates, helping others, being a good example to others and loving everyone.  I thank God I see those prayers answered. It’s important for your child(ren) to hear you pray about those things.  Every once and a while they themselves will lift up a classmate or two, even if its for a silly thing, they still see the purpose in praying and its a time to explore their hearts. 
Another thing happened during the conference that I thought I’d share.  A few weeks ago Jeremy was expressing some not so good behavior at home…acting out a bit…it taking a couple times for him to listen and follow a direction, so I talked with him about it (just me and him) and asked if there was something going on at school because I knew that it was nothing within the family that would give him reason.  After a few times he said there was a child in class that was mean to him and others. I brought it up to the teacher during conference.  She immediately got bothered because of the trouble this boy gives her.  She mentioned I wasn’t the first to bring up this particular child, which isn’t good news.  I told her as I walked out…pray for your students.  She said laughing, “Oh yeah, everyday its like, ok here we go again,”  and I said, “well, prayer is power and you will see a difference.” 
Last week I received an email from my oldest son's teacher titled, "Leo's good deed", and that is yet another blessing to receive as a parent.  She said that he helped another student in a way that she had never seen one do before.  So what's so awesome? He didn't even realize what he did - it just came as second nature to him.  Praise God. :)
So, here is your challenge.  Give praise to your child even if he or she isn’t in school yet.  Give thanksgiving to God for your child(ren)…He has a purpose for each one of them.  Pray.  The most powerful act you can do.  Pray for your children, their teacher, school, and friends.  One way that we involve them is we’ll ask if there is anyone they would like to pray for.  Leo (2nd) once prayed for his friend that was going to be moving. Jeremy (K) lifted up a friend who got hurt during recess.  Sophia (3 yrs old in daycare) always likes to pray for her school.
I had a moment driving to work...God is so good...He is sooooo good!  My kids are a blessing.  And though I get on them about things and it hurts to discipline, the reward is good.  God is good.  
Be blessed! 


Blessed with Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment...and be kind :)